Commercial Construction Assistant Project Manager
Your New Company:
Hernandez Consulting & Construction is proudly an employee-owned project management firm and general contractor specializing in Design, Construction, Development & Sustainability. Having the best people is what makes Hernandez Consulting & Construction a top-tier leader in the construction industry. Simply put, it’s our employee-owners. You too can play a critical role in the future of our company by starting your own career here at Hernandez Consulting & Construction. From federal buildings, VA hospitals, military housing to universities, hotels, and more, Hernandez Consulting & Construction has shaped America for over 16 years. Our work of building government and private buildings leaves a towering legacy that will last the test of time; the same goes for our people. We owe our success to the leadership, talent, and drive of our employees. With a wide range of commercial construction opportunities, explore the many ways to grow your career and build your own legacy at Hernandez Consulting & Construction. Be a part of our team while we have openings available!
Your New Role:
Hernandez Consulting & Construction is looking for an individual, with at least 3 years of experience, to join its expanding team as a Construction Assistant Project Manager. You must demonstrate at least three (3) years of experience in a construction environment. The Assistant Project Manager’s primary responsibilities are to assist the Senior Project Manager, Project Manager(s), and Site Manager(s) in all aspects of the construction projects(s) including but not limited to, staff development, development of bid packages, and specifications, coordination of shop drawings, submittal review, and submissions, expediting material deliveries, assisting with project cost accounting, processing owner and subcontractor billings, and periodic project site visits. As an Assistant Project Manager, you will be trained to successfully negotiate subcontracts and change orders and effectively direct the project administration is daily activities to ensure proper project support is being maintained. Someone with an undergraduate degree in construction management would be ideal.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Construction Related Degree (BA/BSc) or a good tenure in a construction company.
- Vista and/or Procore knowledge and experience are a plus.
- 3 years experience in a construction environment as a Project Coordinator or Project Engineer role preferred.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of commercial projects, buildings, or other structures.
- The ability to accurately read, comprehend and interpret construction drawings and specifications is of utmost importance
- Great Communication Skills.
- Willingness to take on additional tasks.
- Be a self-starter.
- Ability to drive and push all involved parties forward towards project completion.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project and/or Primavera.
What you’ll be doing in your new role:
- Assist Project Manager(s) in the process of reviewing prospective change orders. Maintain the software that tracks approved change order requests for each project.
- Keep track of budget costs including buyout costs, contingency sums, GMP changes.
- Assist the Senior Project Manager/Project Manager(s) when directed during the bid phase with bid invites, pre-bid meeting agenda, uploading files, phone calls, scanning/saving bid proposals/documents, and preparing bid tabulation sheets.
- Keep current on any changes in the Building-Connected Software and set up training or implementation of changes upon approval of Chief Estimator. Monitor all jobs currently bidding to see if bidding software is running smoothly.
- Tracking issuance and review of product and shop drawing submittals to ensure timely coordination between all parties in involved in the review process.
- Coordination of Operation & Maintenance Manuals with for incorporation of the required information.
- Assist Estimator(s) with the takeoff of materials for pricing as requested.
- Review Subcontractors, initially submitted schedule of values to verify if work is broken down per trades and labor and materials.
- Prepares and maintains the Progress Schedule.
- Prepares and processes RFI's and submittals.
- Expedites Scheduled Shop Drawings and Shop Drawing Log.
- Maintain Company Reports (Weekly and Monthly).
- Prepare monthly Pay Applications, process and approve bills and invoices. Maintain cash flow reports, and update cost reports.
- Prepares change orders for all Client changes. Represents the company as the liaison between Client and Architect.
- Notify Client and Architect of all potential time delays, changes, payments, and labor disputes.
- Maintain safety control.
- Administer the Client and Subcontractor contracts.
- Expedite material deliveries and labor to the project. Maintain delivery schedules for all materials and equipment.
- Create and maintain subcontractor start-up, product data, shop drawings, and submittals as required per contract documents. Maintain tracking on daily basis to ensure each element is issued and reviewed in a timely manner.
- Send notices daily or weekly to vendors/ subs/ project managers, architects, or engineers needing to submit or review information.
- Send submittals to the project coordinator that needs to be incorporated into the Operation & Maintenance manuals.
- Attend construction and design meetings as requested. Record and publish meeting minutes.
- Assist Project Management with schedule updates, postings, and distribution.
- Prepare contracts and scopes of work under the direction of the Project Management.
- Assist Project Management with preparation and submission of budget estimates.
- Assist Project Management with planning, organizing, and coordinating construction activities.
- Obtain all necessary permits and licenses.
- Manage the maintenance of process and cost tracking reports.
- Requisition supplies and materials to complete construction projects.
- Coordinate the submittal and RFI process.
- Manage and maintain current drawing and specification logs.
- Assist Project Manager(s) and/or Field Personnel in investigating damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
- Coordinate and review monthly Subcontractors Pay Applications and submit them to Project Management for approval.
- Coordinate, review, and submit Owner monthly billings for payment.
- Order temporary construction equipment and material such as job site trailers, temporary sanitary facilities, electric meters, project signage, Federal/State required signage, etc.
- Enforce quality adherence constantly of each project to establish and maintain high-quality standards.
- Maintain and support a positive attitude towards work which further promotes a strong team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to be utilized when communicating with diverse project teams.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking, while understanding time-sensitive issues.
- Must be able to work collaboratively for multiple Project Managers concurrently, along with Architectural firms, Clients, and numerous Vendors.
- Employees must be energetic, flexible, and motivated self-starter who is ready to work with a dynamic and growing team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to understand project processes and standard progression for construction projects (i.e. document control).
- Standard knowledge of elementary project estimating procedures.
- Positive projection and maintenance of a professional image at all times.
- Ability to resolve disputes quickly, effectively, and to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Willingness to learn and progressively take on new roles and responsibilities relative to both project management and field operations.
- Encourages, fosters, and promotes effective time management for all daily activities to produce quality results.
- Prepare subcontractor change orders.
- Prepare all necessary correspondence to all subcontractors, Client, and Architect.
- Schedule and hold weekly job site meetings with all subcontractors, Client, and Architect.
- Maintain project budget and cost control.
- Maintains organization of the project job site office and site.
- Maintains quality control, production control, and job site administration.
- Maintain job site files.
- Maintain contract documents and keep up-to-date as-built drawings.
- Prepare monthly cost reports and coordinate projections with the superintendent.
- Submit weekly labor reports.
- Keep Management advised of all potential issues or problems.
- Complete any other duties assigned by management.
You’ll need to embrace Hernandez Consulting & Construction’s Core Values:
- We are Team Players
- We are Self-Driven
- We are Solution Focused
- We are Accountable
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- Company employee bonus program
- Opportunity to grow with an industry leader
- We’ll pay 80% of your Medical Health Insurance premiums
- Employee paid Dental, and Vision plan
- Disability (short and long term)
- Life Insurance (employer-paid)
- 401k with match
- 3 weeks PTO, 8 holidays per year
- The company makes annual Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) contributions.
- Great company culture – monthly company get-togethers, annual crawfish boil, holiday party.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S and pass a drug screen and background check.
Hernandez Consulting & Construction is an equal opportunity employer. Hernandez Consulting & Construction does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.